As of March 2015, all content here has been moved to a more user-friendly site. Please visit www.deborah-puette.com for the most up-to-date information. Thanks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Actress, writer, friend to spiders. Caught on a bramble near the Hollywood sign.


When you tell people you're an actor and writer, they usually have questions like these:

WHAT HAVE I SEEN YOU IN?

Sam Raimi's 3D blockbuster OZ The Great and Powerful and his pilot for Fox entitled Rake, NBC's Revolution (pic above), executive producer Steven Spielberg's Extant on CBS, True Blood, The Office, Parks and Rec, Grey's Anatomy and more, at IMDb.

Lucky enough to know about the vibrant theater scene in L.A.? Then maybe you've seen me onstage.

CAN I WATCH ANY OF THAT?
Why yes. Yes you can. Below on the right are some videos from work I've done, including the trailer to a short film I recently wrote, produced and starred in entitled Cash for Gold (so far an official selection at the Hollywood Film Festival, Florida Film Festival and Sonoma International Film Festival. Hello, wine country.)


WHAT HAVE YOU WRITTEN??

A number of personal essays, some of which are published on this blog, and some of which you can catch me around town reading aloud for audiences. A short film called Cash for Gold (see above). A television pilot you haven't seen yet.

WHAT ELSE?
I'm a pretty good cook, a really good mom, and an irrepressible fidgeter.

Be my guest and look around as long as you'd like. I promise no pushy sales ladies will bug you.

I'm glad you're here.



Friday, April 22, 2011

get inspired by: bill viola


I just learned I'll be directed by world-renowned contemporary video artist, Bill Viola, on his next project, and I couldn't be more excited. Anyone who knows his work knows that the image above is iconic Viola, from "An Ocean Without A Shore."

Here's a short video by the Tate that shows this 2007 exhibit in motion along with Bill explaining the vision behind it and the cutting edge technology they used to make it. Take a look--it's SO cool.



The as-yet-untitled piece I've been cast in was commissioned by no less than the Church of England, will be a collection of the Tate and will live in permanent installation at St. Paul's Cathedral in London. The piece will span the entire life of Mary, mother of Jesus, from her life as a young woman to old age, through the Annunciation to her Assumption to Heaven. I'll play Mary's cousin, Elizabeth, from the time she herself is pregnant with John the Baptist through Mary's Assumption.

We start shooting next week in a beautiful location in Ojai, California. Per Wikipedia: "Bill Viola's exhibition profile, which includes the National Gallery, London, Guggenheim Berlin, Guggenheim New York, Whitney Museum of American Art, Getty Los Angeles, California, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York marks him as a major contemporary artist."

If you'd like to see more about Bill's work, definitely click here.

Image by Bill Viola from  "An Ocean without a Shore" 2007

6 comments:

  1. That is so awesome. You are wonderfully talented yes, but this super special in my book. Way to go.
    Darin Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Darin! Our first day of shooting was, and i mean this, magical. He's a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible! Congratulations!
    I first experienced Bill Viola when his exhibition THE PASSIONS was at The Getty. I had to go back multiple times to see it -- I was so moved & inspired by it.
    So glad to hear he's a dream to work with, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Dana! Isn't his work something completely "other-than?" So inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Deborah!
    My name is Lola Sandgren and I was also in the same BV piece! I was the Mary with Jesus child, my then 2.5 month old son Kian was Jesus. Bill shot it here in our loft in downtown LA early in 2011. It was a magical and unforgettable experience.
    I stumbled upon your blog as I was googling to see when the opening might be. May perhaps? I'm going to see Genevive soon so I will ask her then.
    Looking forward to seeing the piece with your segment!
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lola, glad to hear from you. I don't know the opening date yet either, so let me know what you hear. What a great record to have of you and Kian together!

    ReplyDelete