As of March 2015, all content here has been moved to a more user-friendly site. Please visit www.deborah-puette.com for the most up-to-date information. Thanks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Actress, writer, friend to spiders. Caught on a bramble near the Hollywood sign.


When you tell people you're an actor and writer, they usually have questions like these:

WHAT HAVE I SEEN YOU IN?

Sam Raimi's 3D blockbuster OZ The Great and Powerful and his pilot for Fox entitled Rake, NBC's Revolution (pic above), executive producer Steven Spielberg's Extant on CBS, True Blood, The Office, Parks and Rec, Grey's Anatomy and more, at IMDb.

Lucky enough to know about the vibrant theater scene in L.A.? Then maybe you've seen me onstage.

CAN I WATCH ANY OF THAT?
Why yes. Yes you can. Below on the right are some videos from work I've done, including the trailer to a short film I recently wrote, produced and starred in entitled Cash for Gold (so far an official selection at the Hollywood Film Festival, Florida Film Festival and Sonoma International Film Festival. Hello, wine country.)


WHAT HAVE YOU WRITTEN??

A number of personal essays, some of which are published on this blog, and some of which you can catch me around town reading aloud for audiences. A short film called Cash for Gold (see above). A television pilot you haven't seen yet.

WHAT ELSE?
I'm a pretty good cook, a really good mom, and an irrepressible fidgeter.

Be my guest and look around as long as you'd like. I promise no pushy sales ladies will bug you.

I'm glad you're here.



Tuesday, May 3, 2011

get inspired by: new plays in l.a.

Last Saturday, I had the extreme pleasure of doing a staged reading of Day Trader, a new play by the very talented Eric Rudnick. Eric did a bang-up job putting together a wonderful cast of actors to perform his terrific play about power, greed and making it in Hollywood.

I'd followed Bruce Greenwood's work since he blew me away in Atom Egoyan's haunting The Sweet Hereafter; Gregg Henry and I have kicked around in the same circles for awhile, and I've loved watching him play really good baddies like the one he played on The Riches; Amanda Kaschak and Mackenzie Astin kick ass onstage with me in Caught every weekend; Jennifer Carroll was new to me and perfect in her part.The six of us had the great pleasure of bringing this as-yet-unproduced-but-not-for-long play to life in front of an audience that clearly digs new work. How fun it was to bite into Rudnick's smart and stinging dialogue, which has it's own very specific sizzle and snap.

The purpose of a reading is usually at least two-fold:  to let the writer hear how the story and its characters land with an audience, and to introduce the play to more people, ideally some who will be interested in seeing it move forward and have the power to help it do just that. I'm sure that Saturday's reading did both. It certainly generated a long and animated discussion between writer, cast and audience alike over beers at The Village Idiot down the street.

Producers and directors interested in learning more about Eric's work can ping him directly at his email

This is one I expect to see a full production of in the future, and when that happens, I hope I'm lucky enough to be part of it again.


"This is not an age of doing, or even thinking. 
This is an age of hanging on - for which one needs claws."
--Day Trader

No comments:

Post a Comment